I think I'll release another version soon, I already got some small feature requests that may be easy to implement and give the player more options, automatic escort fighters for the carriers for example.
Making the Ferret flyable is a table modification, I can't do it in a mission file.
Here's a howto:
- Extract the ships.tbl from the _core.vp with the program VPView
- open the ships.tbl with a text editor
- scroll to the Ferret entry
- find the "flag" field in brackets, it looks like this: ( "in tech database" "fighter" )
- make it look like ( "in tech database" "fighter" "player ship"). You can copy the entry from the Arrow or Hellcat, it should be the same.
- save the file
- put the file in your Saga folder "/data/tables/" folder. If "data" and/or "tables" doesn't exist, create it.
- now the Ferret should be available as a player ship in the mission editor and if you open ASSM in FRED and go into the "Team Loadout" editor you should be able to make it available in that mission by checking its box on the left side of the window where all the ships are listed.
The Ferret will have a generic HUD of course, since nobody created a custom HUD for it, but it will work.
btw: In my Kilrathi mod the Ferret, Rapier, Demon, Razor and will also be available as flyable ships, just because I can. I might even do HUDs for them if I'm in the mood. But they work already.
When flying the Ferret you will feel... somewhat excited but very vulnerable. A bit like in the Darket, only your guns have less range and do more damage.
The Demon is far too powerful I think, especially because of its huge missile load. If you load it completely with dumbfires the player can single handedly destroy a frigate in one pass. Just fire all you missles at it from one direction and it is gone.
So in my mod I might nerf it a bit. Not so much that it becomes bad but a bit less über-great. I already did that for the Gothri, which was just too good IMO.
Remember that those ships are mostly balanced for AI use in the two prologue missions they appear in, not for being player ships.