Can I change refresh rate?
Hi. I've installed the game and it runs fine but it's defaulting to 60hz. I play on a CRT monitor and I have my driver settings set to 85hz. When it switches to 60hz the game is off centre and distorted so it's quite important that it refreshes at 85. Is it possible? In a lot of games there is an ini file that can be edited. Is there something similar?
I have an Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 but there doesn't seem to be a refresh rate override control in the control panel.
I found a forum for Freespace 2 and someone mentiones OGL_Refreshrate registry entry, but I don't know what that means.
Thanks very much.
Windows XP Service Pack 3 4gigs RAM Athlon 4600+ Geforce GTS 250
Have you had a look at this thread? There seem to be a few interesting suggestions there. You should have a look at the nvidia control panel, see if you can change the refresh rate there. Other than that, you could look for a refresh rate overrider.
EDIT - *looks at OP's name* Hey wait a minute, you're the guy from that thread!
X3N0-Life-Form wrote:Have you had a look at this thread? There seem to be a few interesting suggestions there. You should have a look at the nvidia control panel, see if you can change the refresh rate there. Other than that, you could look for a refresh rate overrider.EDIT - *looks at OP's name* Hey wait a minute, you're the guy from that thread!
I guess I am. I don't remember posting though.
There doesn't seem to be anything in the control panel.
That's the post I was reading. The OP fixed his problem by "OGL_RefreshRate has to be created as a DWORD-value" which means nothing to me I'm afraid. Is anyone able to elaborate on that and give me instructions?
Thank you for replying so quickly.
I'm not sure myself, but it looks like you are going to have to do a bit of registry edition. How to do that:
1-Press the key "windows" + "r" on your keyboard ; a small window called "execute" with a small textfield should appear (or whatever "execute" translate into in your language)
2-Type "regedit" in the textfield then press enter ; this should open the registry editor On the left of the editor should be a sort of tree explorer thingy, with "computer" on top which expands into several HKEY_something.
3-Expand the ones called "HKEY_CURRENT_USER", then "Sofware", then "Volition" ; "WingCommanderSaga" should be present in the Volition "folder".
4-Click on "WingCommanderSaga", a bunch of registry should appear on the right part of the registry editor
5-Right-click on that part, select "new, then "DWORD value", name it "OGL_RefreshRate" and try to set it to whatever you want your refresh rate to be.
I don't know if that's going to work, but it's worth a shot.
X3N0-Life-Form wrote:I'm not sure myself, but it looks like you are going to have to do a bit of registry edition. How to do that:1-Press the key "windows" + "r" on your keyboard ; a small window called "execute" with a small textfield should appear (or whatever "execute" translate into in your language)
2-Type "regedit" in the textfield then press enter ; this should open the registry editor On the left of the editor should be a sort of tree explorer thingy, with "computer" on top which expands into several HKEY_something.
3-Expand the ones called "HKEY_CURRENT_USER", then "Sofware", then "Volition" ; "WingCommanderSaga" should be present in the Volition "folder".
4-Click on "WingCommanderSaga", a bunch of registry should appear on the right part of the registry editor
5-Right-click on that part, select "new, then "DWORD value", name it "OGL_RefreshRate" and try to set it to whatever you want your refresh rate to be.
I don't know if that's going to work, but it's worth a shot.
Hi, thanks for explaining. I've done that except for the last bit. Can you elaborate on try to set it to whatever frefresh rate to be? How do I set it?
Right-click on it and select "modify".
X3N0-Life-Form wrote:Right-click on it and select "modify".
I tried that and entered 85 in the field, it didn't do anything.
In that case, I suggest you google "OGL_RefreshRate" and see what comes out.
Edit: Try to activate vsync in the control panel of your graphics card driver. If you haven't done that yet, try this one first.
Original msg: When modifying that value, make sure to check that "decimal" is activated on the right edge of that window that pops up.
Mantis wrote:Original msg: When modifying that value, make sure to check that "decimal" is activated on the right edge of that window that pops up.
That did it, thanks a million. So much better now.