Windows 7 Catalyst video card problems.
Okay, so I had Saga working great on my XP machine... which just died. 😢 But, that was a good reason to finally get a new rig.
Specs
intel core i5 2320 3.0Ghz 6m 1155 8GB ddr3 AMD Radeo HD6770 1 gb ddr5 pcie Windows 7 64 bit
I installed Saga and got some weird errors. I installed the patch and still got some weird errors. As soon as I run I get this:
ERANGE: String error. Please Report. Trying to put into 32 byte buffer: cmdline_fso@2012-03-31T19;01;16.cfg ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes wcsaga_sse2.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_sse2.exe! <no symbol>
I updated the AMD driver to the latest version (as far as I can tell, I am new to Windows 7).
Any ideas?
Okay, I must be some kind of moron. I did what I thought would install the new AMD drivers (I've always had nvidia before), but when I look at the driver in the device manager, it still says it is 8.961.0.0. The driver I downloaded was 12_4_vista_win7_dd_ccc. What am I doing wrong to keep the driver from actually updating?
Okay, I tried the AMD autodetect. It thinks I have installed the latest drivers, but I am still getting this problem. Any ideas of what to do?
Okay, to confirm (now I have figured a few things out.
My Catalyst version is 12.4
My driver version is 8.961
Hopefully some of this will help someone out there figure out the problem because I am stumped. 😢
Welcome to the world of ATI crapware. Please run the debug build http://www.wcsaga.com/rc_download/604d3 ... saga_d.exe and attach the debug log here. It is located in My Documents/Volition/Wing Commander Saga/data/fs2_open.log
This is the message that pops up
ERANGE: String error. Please Report. Trying to put into 32 byte buffer: cmdline_fso@2012-03-31T19;01;16.cfg ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> kernel32.dll! BaseThreadInitThunk + 18 bytes ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 99 bytes ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 54 bytes
And this is what was in that log you requested
========================================================================== DEBUG SPEW: No debug_filter.cfg found, so only general, error, and warning categories can be shown and no debug_filter.cfg info will be saved. ========================================================================== FreeSpace version: 1.1.0.7822 Passed cmdline options: -fov 0.87266 -no_vsync Building file index... Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_42181_1_1_patch.vp' with a checksum of 0x3bfacdd7 Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_cbanims.vp' with a checksum of 0x2409b26f Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_core.vp' with a checksum of 0xd7728a23 Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_effects.vp' with a checksum of 0x0286a101 Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_interface.vp' with a checksum of 0x65ead96b Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_maps.vp' with a checksum of 0x8ffa2f7d Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_models.vp' with a checksum of 0x79660cff Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_movies.vp' with a checksum of 0x68a4c02e Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_movies_prologue.vp' with a checksum of 0x9b94783c Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_sounds.vp' with a checksum of 0xe2923047 Searching root 'C:\Users\Anderson\Documents\Volition\Wing Commander Saga\' ... ERROR: ERANGE: String error. Please Report. Trying to put into 32 byte buffer: cmdline_fso@2012-03-31T19;01;16.cfg File: cfilesystem.cpp Line: 591
Tolwyn wrote:Welcome to the world of ATI crapware. Please run the debug build http://www.wcsaga.com/rc_download/604d3 ... saga_d.exe and attach the debug log here. It is located in My Documents/Volition/Wing Commander Saga/data/fs2_open.log
So you're telling me it's not just an id10t error? 😉
Try deleting cmdline_fso@2012-03-31T19;01;16.cfg. The file name is incorrect anyway.
Hmm. Tried it. I got:
ERANGE: String error. Please Report. Trying to put into 32 byte buffer: debris01@2011-07-20T10;17;51.ibx ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes wcsaga_sse2.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_sse2.exe! <no symbol>
ran with debug and got:
ERANGE: String error. Please Report. Trying to put into 32 byte buffer: debris01@2011-07-20T10;17;51.ibx kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 19 bytes wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> kernel32.dll! BaseThreadInitThunk + 18 bytes ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 99 bytes ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 54 bytes
Here's the log file now:
========================================================================== DEBUG SPEW: No debug_filter.cfg found, so only general, error, and warning categories can be shown and no debug_filter.cfg info will be saved. ========================================================================== FreeSpace version: 1.1.0.7822 Passed cmdline options: -fov 0.87266 -no_vsync Building file index... Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_42181_1_1_patch.vp' with a checksum of 0x3bfacdd7 Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_cbanims.vp' with a checksum of 0x2409b26f Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_core.vp' with a checksum of 0xd7728a23 Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_effects.vp' with a checksum of 0x0286a101 Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_interface.vp' with a checksum of 0x65ead96b Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_maps.vp' with a checksum of 0x8ffa2f7d Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_models.vp' with a checksum of 0x79660cff Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_movies.vp' with a checksum of 0x68a4c02e Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_movies_prologue.vp' with a checksum of 0x9b94783c Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_sounds.vp' with a checksum of 0xe2923047 Searching root 'C:\Users\Anderson\Documents\Volition\Wing Commander Saga\' ... ERROR: ERANGE: String error. Please Report. Trying to put into 32 byte buffer: debris01@2011-07-20T10;17;51.ibx File: cfilesystem.cpp Line: 591 Int3(): From c:\wc saga\engine\code\globalincs\windebug.cpp at line 1163
I've been fiddling around with this, but still no luck. I'm still stuck where I was in the last post. Any further suggestions?
Okay, I am going to try to downgrade from 12.4 to 12.3 and see if that does it.
No good. I get this message:
ERANGE: String error. Please Report. Trying to put into 32 byte buffer: debris01@2011-07-20T10;17;51.ibx ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes wcsaga_sse2.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_sse2.exe! <no symbol>
and debug gives me this:
ERANGE: String error. Please Report. Trying to put into 32 byte buffer: debris01@2011-07-20T10;17;51.ibx KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 152 bytes kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> kernel32.dll! BaseThreadInitThunk + 18 bytes ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 99 bytes ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 54 bytes
Okay, I switched back to 12.4. When I try to launch I get:
ERANGE: String error. Please Report. Trying to put into 32 byte buffer: debris01@2011-07-20T10;17;51.ibx ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes wcsaga_sse2.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_sse2.exe! <no symbol>
and with debugger I get:
ERANGE: String error. Please Report. Trying to put into 32 byte buffer: debris01@2011-07-20T10;17;51.ibx wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> kernel32.dll! BaseThreadInitThunk + 18 bytes ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 99 bytes ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 54 bytes
So, what do you think. Is there anything to be done, or am I just out of luck... which would be sad. After all those years of working on it, I'd love to be able to at least play through it once.
Still on the road. Sounds like a damaged installation though.
What do you think... delete, and then re-install? Should I download all over again, or try installing from the same download I had before (it is the one I successfully installed on my XP machine).
I tried a whole new download and install... still the same problem.
==========================================================================
DEBUG SPEW: No debug_filter.cfg found, so only general, error, and warning
categories can be shown and no debug_filter.cfg info will be saved.
==========================================================================
FreeSpace version: 1.1.0.7822
Passed cmdline options:
-fov 0.87266
-no_vsync
Building file index...
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_42181_1_1_patch.vp' with a checksum of 0x3bfacdd7
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_cbanims.vp' with a checksum of 0x2409b26f
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_core.vp' with a checksum of 0xd7728a23
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_effects.vp' with a checksum of 0x0286a101
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_interface.vp' with a checksum of 0x65ead96b
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_maps.vp' with a checksum of 0x8ffa2f7d
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_models.vp' with a checksum of 0x79660cff
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_movies.vp' with a checksum of 0x68a4c02e
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_movies_prologue.vp' with a checksum of 0x9b94783c
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_sounds.vp' with a checksum of 0xe2923047
Searching root 'C:\Users\Anderson\Documents\Volition\Wing Commander Saga\' ... ERROR: ERANGE: String error. Please Report.
Trying to put into 32 byte buffer:
cmdline_fso@2012-03-31T19;01;16.cfg
File: cfilesystem.cpp
Line: 591
Hello Is this the full report ??? looks like very short for me. Is OpenAL installed ? what are the specs of your computer ?
Greetings Peter
intel core i5 2320 3.0Ghz 6m 1155 8GB ddr3 AMD Radeo HD6770 1 gb ddr5 pcie Windows 7 64 bit
from the log when run debug build, the message I get is this:
ERANGE: String error. Please Report. Trying to put into 32 byte buffer: debris01@2011-07-20T10;17;51.ibx ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> wcsaga_d.exe! <no symbol> kernel32.dll! BaseThreadInitThunk + 18 bytes ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 99 bytes ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 54 bytes
and then the ds2_open log it generates is this:
========================================================================== DEBUG SPEW: No debug_filter.cfg found, so only general, error, and warning categories can be shown and no debug_filter.cfg info will be saved. ========================================================================== FreeSpace version: 1.1.0.7822 Passed cmdline options: -fov 0.87266 -no_vsync Building file index... Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_cbanims.vp' with a checksum of 0x2409b26f Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_core.vp' with a checksum of 0xd7728a23 Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_effects.vp' with a checksum of 0x0286a101 Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_interface.vp' with a checksum of 0x65ead96b Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_maps.vp' with a checksum of 0x8ffa2f7d Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_models.vp' with a checksum of 0x79660cff Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_movies.vp' with a checksum of 0x68a4c02e Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_movies_prologue.vp' with a checksum of 0x9b94783c Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing Commander Saga\hermes_sounds.vp' with a checksum of 0xe2923047 Searching root 'C:\Users\Anderson\Documents\Volition\Wing Commander Saga\' ... ERROR: ERANGE: String error. Please Report. Trying to put into 32 byte buffer: debris01@2011-07-20T10;17;51.ibx File: cfilesystem.cpp Line: 591
As far as I can see, that is all there is to it. Of course, I am not very savvy with these things, but that's all I can see when I open fs2_open.log
This:
Searching root 'C:\Users\Anderson\Documents\Volition\Wing Commander Saga\' ... ERROR: ERANGE: String error. Please Report.
looks like a problem with a file in this directory. Do you running a User with Administrator rights or is this an limited user ?? i think i have read that WCSAGA only runs with a full aceess User. And try to De-Install WCSAGA and cleaning up registry and then install for exapmple in an other partiton. e.g. D:
So i hope this is be helpfully for you ??
Greez Peter
try Installing to C:\Games\Wing Commander Saga
Okay, I will attempt both solutions.
Okay, I will attempt both solutions.
That did it! Thanks a million!
for futuer referance That Message was saying that your filepath was to long.
We are here to help 😉 Have a lot of fun with WCSAGA !!!