Crash on Startup

Forum ▸ Tech Support

I am having an issue where as soon as I click on 'Run' I'm getting the error message "Wing Commander Saga has stopped working" and it crashes back to desktop. I'm running Win7 with an Nvidia GTX 570, and all my drivers are up-to-date. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

try going into the details of Wing Commander Saga.exe and wcsaga_sse2.exe in your game folder and make sure Win7 didn't set any compatibility settings by default.

Also try deactivating any 3D optimization overrides you might have set in your driver's control center (if you never changed anything there, than ignore this)

It doesn't appear to have applied any compatibility settings that I can see, and no I've never activated any 3D optimization overrides. I've tried re-installing it, with the same result

Are you by any chance using SLI or soemthing like that? Also at what resolution are you trying to run the game

Silly question, but have you installed OpenAL?

I have this same issue - "Wing Commander Saga has stopped working" right after hitting the Run button on the launcher. I'm running win7 64 bit with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 and two 1920x1080 heads. I've got the most recent drivers (NVIDIA 8.17.12.9610) and updates. I'm not using any SLI. I've tried windowed/non-windowed, 1280x768 and 1920x1080. I did install OpenAL. I've never tweaked anything in the NVIDIA Control Panel. There doesn't seem to be any compatibility mode settings on the executable.

This game looks awesome in the reviews and youtubes - I'm really hoping I'll get to play it on my computer! But either way - thanks very much for the free!! game and your attention!

I've been told that NVidia's 296.10 drivers may cause problems with OpenGL games. There is an easy way to find it out. Download and run this EXE. It will probably crash in the exactly the same manner. Then check windows logs. An indication for the driver crash is the mention of nvoglv32.dll.

I had the same issue. Try to run the game in "Administrator mode".

Unable to get proper pixel format for OpenGL W32! <<< error message startup (Windows7 x64 , x1950pro)

Edit: The problem is resolved, download the drivers from AMD, from the manufacturer cards do not work.