Game won't run

Forum ▸ Tech Support

Having some problems with this game (which is killing me since I sooo want to be able to play this).

What happens is I can get into the first scene of the game, but whenever I try to acess the campaign door (or any other option), I go to a loading screen, which turns white, and the game stops responding.

I am running this on a 5970, but with Crossfire not enabled through catalyst.

Any help would be much appreciated. ^^

Cheers

http://www.wcsaga.com/forum/index.php?f ... opic#p5160

I'm not realy understand... you have CF, but you disabled it or what? The game isn't running with CF.

It is a different kind of issue. I have a guess though...

@ Wasp Yes, every 5970 is crossfired... Since I know its better to leave it off in order to play WC Saga, I turned my off through Catalyst.

@ Tolwyn Please let me know... I'm completely out of ideas to solve this, and willing to try anything ^^

I sent you a PM with additional instructions.

@ Tolwyn

You sir, are my hero! ^^

Game is working flawlessly now

I sincerely can`t thank you enough for your help.

Huge thanks, mate =D

Cheers

Can you two enlighten me how you fixed the problem? 😉

I assume he updated his ATI drivers. 😉

Either that or it was the no sound issue again. Probably not though.

I actually just launched the game through the .exe that you sent me, expecting it to crash so I could send you the info about the crash (as per your intructions on the PM). I wasn`t able to do so because the game did not crash anymore with it =D

It so happens that the game runs flawlessly with that. ^^

Big thanks again

Cheers

The game is not supposed to be run with the debug build.

Well... I don`t know why, but the game runs flawlessly with it, and don`t run at all with the default exe.

Thats why I can`t send you the info about whats crashing it. It does not crash when I launch it through the debug build. Beats me why.

Cheers

Have you tried updating your graphic card drivers? Most instant CTDs are caused by poor OpenGL implementation.

mdualib wrote:Well... I don`t know why, but the game runs flawlessly with it, and don`t run at all with the default exe.

Thats why I can`t send you the info about whats crashing it. It does not crash when I launch it through the debug build. Beats me why.

Cheers

That... is strange. And as Tolwyn said, the game is not designed to be played with the Debug exe. You will get wrong HUD information and lots of framerate drops...

Please try updating the graphics drivers to 12.3. This isn't the real solution yet.

@ Tolwyn

I actually did a whole new install of my entire OS (Thats how bad I wanted to play this heh), so yes, Im running the "almost" latest driver (running 12.2, since 12.3 seems to be a bit bugged at the moment)

@ KeldorKatarn

Frame rate is running quite well at 70-120 fps at the moment (still at the very beginning, so I don't know if this will hold up until the end), and still havent got any HUD problems so far (which does concern me quite a bit).

Anyway, I'm open to any suggestion so I may come up with a definite solution to this.

And, guys, thanks a bunch for taking the time to help me out here ^^

Cheers

EDIT: Scratch that... I'm actually running Catalyst 12.3, so yes, it is the most updated driver available I guess.

I am also having this problem, I also have a 5970! Strange.

Can you guys try and run the game with the additional command line option -no_glsl please?

Actually, reports suggest that 12.3 should work better.

Anyhow, I an browsing the forum via my mobile. Can smbdy explain to newbies here how to add the said parameter to the cmd line?

@ anaardvark

I know the feeling, bro. Hopefully we will be able to sort this out soon enough.

@KeldonKatarn and Tolwyn

Just added the command line parameter -no_glsl to the launcher on desktop icon... Still no luck. Same problem (game stops responding once I try to begin a campaign or access the starship database (or something like that). Please let me know if you guys want me to try anything else, k?

And, as always, thanks for all the help so far ^^

Cheers

You must not add it to the launcher icon.

Go to C:\Users\[YourName]\Documents\Volition\Wing Commander Saga\data

Open cmdline_fso.cfg and add it there.

I sent you a PM with additional instructions.

Nope, didn't help. Mind you I'm still running 12.2's. Need to try 12.3's when I'm not so busy.

anaardvark wrote:Nope, didn't help. Mind you I'm still running 12.2's. Need to try 12.3's when I'm not so busy.
Please try that. Did the game generate the debug log?

@ Tolwyn

Just tried the new .exe you PMed me... Worked flawlessly (exactly like the other one I tried before), no crashes... So I`m afraid I still cannot get the information you requested, since I cannot reproduce the crash with it.

As always, thanks for all the effort and help so far.

Cheers

@ Tolwyn and Keatarn

BTW, I was brownsing through my instal dir and found a text file called Debug with the following info in it:

11616962 56636 282478 12339 11616962 69317 282478 27696 11616962 84725 282478 27696 11616962 100014 282478 58178 11616962 116075 282478 114784 11616962 132078 282478 165868 11616962 147831 282478 220128 11616962 164270 282478 220128 11616962 180852 282478 220128 11616962 197103 282478 220128 11616962 213990 282478 220128 11616962 231628 282478 220128 11616962 250136 282478 220128 11616962 269566 282478 220128 11616962 289386 282478 220128 11616962 309204 282478 220128 11616962 328971 282478 220128 11616962 348888 282478 220128 11616962 370619 282478 220128 11616962 394158 282478 220128 11616962 419041 282478 220128 11616962 444810 282478 220128 11616962 470758 282478 220128 11616962 495320 282478 220128 11616962 521555 282478 220128 11616962 549185 282478 220128 11616962 578523 282478 220128 11616962 609422 282478 220128 11616962 643180 282478 220128 11616962 677832 282478 220128 11616962 713112 282478 220128 11616962 747680 282478 220128 11616962 781974 282478 220128 11616962 816514 282478 220128

Don't know if this might be relevant or of any help, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to post it here. Again, this file is on the install dir, not in the my docs/volition/data dir.

Cheers

I have a 5970 as well and was having the same issue. I can confirm, well at least for me, that it works with the 12.3 drivers.

Zenmeister wrote:I have a 5970 as well and was having the same issue. I can confirm, well at least for me, that it works with the 12.3 drivers.

@mdualib: what he said. Give newer driver iteration a try. 😉

@Tolwyn Thanks, but I'm already running Catalyst 12.3 (installed it when I did a clean install of my OS), I'm afraid. So the newer driver did not work for me,

Cheers

mdualib wrote:@ Tolwyn and Keatarn

BTW, I was brownsing through my instal dir and found a text file called Debug with the following info in it:

Cheers

That's not the correct log. The correct log is called fs2_open.log and located in C:\Users\[YourName]\Documents\Volition\Wing Commander Saga\data

And even if the game runs flawlessly a debug log is generated.

Zenmeister wrote:I have a 5970 as well and was having the same issue. I can confirm, well at least for me, that it works with the 12.3 drivers.

Well, it seems I spoke too soon. I updated to 12.3 and it worked fine when I started the game immediately after 12.3 finished installing. Could play a mission and everything. Then I restarted the game and now the problem is back. Basically, the ATI display driver just keeps on crashing.

I tried the old ForceSingleGPU rename trick (renamed "wcsaga_sse2.exe" to "ForceSingleGPU.exe" to force crossfire to be disabled) but that unfortunately did not work.

@Tolwyn - I tried looking for the log in that directory you mentioned but didn't find any file with that name or anything else that looked like a log file.

Also, thanks for taking the time to help us out.

Zenmeister wrote:@Tolwyn - I tried looking for the log in that directory you mentioned but didn't find any file with that name or anything else that looked like a log file.

Also, thanks for taking the time to help us out.

That log is generated only if you run a debug build.

@ Tolwyn

Ok, found it. Thanks for the heads up. It is quite large (over 144k letters) so I can't send it to you through regular PM, Im afraid. Also, I'm quite sure it is only generated when I use the debug .exe (So probably there isn`t a crash event on it... Not sure though).

Let me know if I should post it here, or send it to you somehow, okay?

Thanks and cheers

mdualib wrote:

You must not add it to the launcher icon.

Go to C:\Users\[YourName]\Documents\Volition\Wing Commander Saga\data

Open cmdline_fso.cfg and add it there.

Heh, somehow I completely missed this (It was inside my own reply, so quite hard to see it).

I added it to the cmdline_fso.cfg, and still got the same problem, I`m afraid. Please let me know if you want me to try something else, k?

Thanks for the help, btw (whoever you might be =P)

mdualib wrote:@ Tolwyn

Ok, found it. Thanks for the heads up. It is quite large (over 144k letters) so I can't send it to you through regular PM, Im afraid. Also, I'm quite sure it is only generated when I use the debug .exe (So probably there isn`t a crash event on it... Not sure though).

Let me know if I should post it here, or send it to you somehow, okay?

Thanks and cheers

Attach it to our mantis bug report.

Tolwyn wrote: Attach it to our mantis bug report.

Done =D

Its there already. Let me know if I can do anything else to help.

Cheers

I'm running cat 12.3, also with a 5970 and having the same issues.

Tried the -no_glsl and disabling crossfire via an application profile.

No go. Same issue as above posters. Crashes to a white screen once I enter the campaign door.

Just an experiment but.. can you give this exe a whirl?

📎 [Attachment: wcsaga_no_opt.zip]

I just tried that exe and it did not help. 😢 I have 2 x 6950's but I have crossfire disabled through Radeon Pro. However, my laptop, which has a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6370 with 512MB of dedicated VRam does not have any problems. (It is running a driver from late 2010 though.)

Try copying your atioglxx.dll (from windows\system32 or windows\SysWOW64) to the game directory.

If that doesn't help you probably will have to experiment with older drivers. (Once you have found one that works just copy its atioglxx.dll to the game directory and update the driver again. The game will continue to use that dll instead)

Tried a few atioglxx.dll's, all they did was make the game crash right on startup. :shock: Oh well, hopefully, a fix will be found eventually. (I really do want to play this game.)

As soon as we find one, we'll let you know. At the moment we're a bit puzzled too. Also keep trying new drivers as they come out. If you find one that works, let us know please.

I'm also having this issue, and like the others, have tried all of the above suggestions. If it helps: I also have this issue with the more recent builds of the FSOpen engine and am only able to use the debug builds to play Freespace 2. The current FSOpen version I have is 3_16_12 and I'm using a fully patched version of Win 7 64 with a ATi 4870X2 gfx card using the 12.3 drivers

My guess is that this is a general issue with the recent FSOpen builds that needs addressing, rather than your particular title.

Looking forward to playing this when you get it fixed. It looks great.

Thing is, an X2 card is probably running in crossfire mode, which is the most common cause of crashes thus far.

This seems to bea Crossfire issue. I had the same problem running with 2x ATI 5870's. Disabled Crossfire and all was well. Catalyst drivers are 12.2 btw, so that shouldn't be what causes this.

Disabling Crossfire on a 5970 might be difficult tho. 😉

hello.. i have the same card (AMD 5970) and the same problem as the OP... could you pls help me also ? Why dont you make the solution public in this thread ?

Anyway, help appreciated very much !

Thx in advance !

disabling CF on the 5970 is no problem with drivers since cat 12.1 (which i am running btw) ... there is a new profile/option in Cat menue now... but i have tried with CF disabled and even in windowed mode (which automatically disables CF) to no avail.... as soon as i try to enter the campaign or anything from the main menu game crashes..

Same here. Disabling crossfire has no effect, I'm afraid.

Ok guys, try using this build for now. This is a developer build however so you'll see some crap information here and there. This is not a solution but will at least allow you to play the game for now. Expect some slowdowns however.

📎 [Attachment: wcsaga_d.zip]

That works just fine. Thanks! 😁

I've got an ATI 5970, running Windows 7 x64. I still get the crashes at the ship database and on the mission loadscreen allthough I tried all suggestions: Catalyst 12.3 is installed, crossfire is disabled by application profile and windowed mode, -no_glsl is on and i'm using the debug build.

Try running the game with admin rights.

well ppl . i have a 6990 and on the first start of the game every day it crashed exactly like the guys say in here.no matter if 12.2,12.3 or 12.4 pre whql .

I relaunched the game and it worked for every startup until reboot.then it crashed on 1st start again..but always relaunch worked so far...UNTIL NOW (maybe the patch)

sometimes i missed the own ship models in weapon config screen and in space as well. smtms i didnt see my capitals but fighters,smtms i saw my wingmen but not my capital allies( i only saw their lights always)

i copied atiogldll in ..put it out..had no influence..it was random...at first glance when i copied the dll in folder it worked..but next day no more...random...

dammit i will try the exe you guys posted above.

until now i never had any repeatable solution..it was all random

smtms the game just minimizes without any reason,then comes up again..i loose my ffb of the stick ofc but i can continue mission.

i never disabled crossfire,game always worked after 1st crash. i will now try all mentioned stuff,then use this exe for continuing the genius game

EDIT: disabling the option within CCC named "surface format optimization" and putting texture quality to high did SOLVE the crashing issue FOR NOW. cant tell if its repeatable.im on it.

Thanks for sharing. Please keep us updated!

i just tested the last developer exe and i got this message after crash

Mr.Tolwyn i sent you a PM with debuglog.

Well, it is not an error per se. You can click no and continue.

Tolwyn wrote:Well, it is not an error per se. You can click no and continue.

true but then i loose my ffb on joystick ❓ because you need to alt tab into game afterwards...OMG

If is not too much of a hassle, please write a mantis report, I'll fix that in the next update.

Tolwyn wrote:If is not too much of a hassle, please write a mantis report, I'll fix that in the next update.

ermm whats a mantis report plz

Mantis is a bugtracking system. You'll need an account to access it; if you don't have one, PM Tolwyn and ask him to give you a Mantis account.

I've got a Radeon 6990 and have the white screen -> crash when loading the game. Turning off "Enable Surface Format Optimization" in the CCC made the game start working.

I'm running the 12.3 drivers.

Thank you for sharing your insights, I will update ou rlist of known issues.

Nevermind, I turned it back on and the crash didn't come back.

Rebooting however and launching the game again brought the crash back and changing the setting does nothing. I then proceeded to launch the game about 18 times in a row without changing anything or varying the time taken between the first launch and each subsequent launch. I did this by writing a mouse macro (auto hot key) and just setting it to repeat when the macro completed on a 15 second delay. Sadly this crash seems to have nothing to do with surface optimization.

Have you tried our test build?