Any way to change the font?

Forum ▸ Tech Support

I'm enjoying the game so far (just doing prologue at the moment), but I feel like I am spending half of my time struggling to read the story. The font and density of the text for the story parts are pretty horrific. Is there any way to change the font for the story part? Or is there a file that I can look into or a copy of the text somewhere on the web where I can read it elsewhere?

Agreed, the text is not the easiest to read in the way it is presented. But alas, the space action is awesome. 😊 (Prologue)

Text / font was always a technical problem in FSO, one that was never "solved" as in being able to read the text clearly and easily. I did not expect the WCSA-team to solve it to be honest. Seems to be not that easy.

I'm still hoping for a solution though, just as you guys. And I think I have an idea, a very simple one:

WCSA-team, please release all the introduction texts as...well...text. In pdf-format for example.

Honestly, I'd rather print it out and always read the appropriate part on paper then struggling through the ingame texts (no hard feelings, really, it's just that I already wear glasses and still have to concentrate really hard to read it ingame ^^).

Would that be oldschool? Of course, but so is the game and we love it for that! 😊

Could you think about it? Thanks in advance. ➡️

A manual was created. I am not aware of where it was uploaded to. Its about 12meg in size as a PDF. Tolwyn would know where it is if not on the WCSaga.com downloads page.

The manual comes with the download of the game and sits in the main directory. It's over 15mb big and really awsome! 😊

But are you sure it holds all the big "textwalls" from the Prologue and main campaign? I doubt that, but will have a quick look through it. ^^

Thanks for your feedback.. We'll see what we can do about the fiction. That was actually one of the reasons why it was cut from the main game.

Hi, just thought I too would like to request a separate file with the large chunks of text. Even a txt file I could throw on my kindle and read the appropriate passage for the appropriate part of the game.

But in the meantime I think I will read through that amazing manual, because WOW! its just like PC games used to be 😊

emptyBOB wrote:Hi, just thought I too would like to request a separate file with the large chunks of text. Even a txt file I could throw on my kindle and read the appropriate passage for the appropriate part of the game.

But in the meantime I think I will read through that amazing manual, because WOW! its just like PC games used to be 😊

Ha, gotta be awsome with the kindle...good old scifi "datapad" finally for real. So it would actually add to the scifi atmosphere, more than a printed copy of the texts. 😁

We'll offer a patch soon which will change the fiction font and we'll also offer the fiction as PDF.

You can extract the fiction now with the VP View tool from our website. Fiction files are located in the hermes_core.vp

KeldorKatarn wrote:We'll offer a patch soon which will change the fiction font and we'll also offer the fiction as PDF.

Yay, and...

Tolwyn wrote:You can extract the fiction now with the VP View tool from our website. Fiction files are located in the hermes_core.vp

...nay! I'm too lazy.

Just kidding. Yay² ➡️

Alright, I have extracted 6 text files using the VP View tool, and have uploaded them for those that want a plain text file.

http://goo.gl/sZyd2

If there are supposed to be more text files, let me know, and I'll try get them also, but this is all that shows up in the hermes_core.vp file.

Nope there's only 6 files. There is no fiction for anything beyond the first Hermes mission.

This feature was cut from the main game. Only the first chapter remains.

the prologue fiction is only present because it was present in the demo also and we didn't want to just throw it away.

Awesome. Thanks for the help guys.

You're welcome.

I've posted the text of the files, as extracted by emptyBOB, on the forums:

http://www.wcsaga.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=525