Hello everybody!
There were numerous requests for a simple simulator mission on this forum already, so I decided to create one.
You can choose between different ships, weapons, numbers of wingmen and enemies ingame. The mission briefing tells you everything you need to know about the mission.
If you have any remarks or feature requests feel free to post your ideas here.
Have fun!
Good stuff mate.
Thanks! I think I'll release another version soon, I already got some small feature requests that may be easy to implement and give the player more options, automatic escort fighters for the carriers for example.
Aginor: How do I install it?
Put it in "my documents/volition/wing commander saga/data/missions".
congrats on being the first to publicly release a user-made mission (a little sad that i still don't get to fly a ferret but i'll live)
Thanks! Making the Ferret flyable is a table modification, I can't do it in a mission file.
Here's a howto: - Extract the ships.tbl from the _core.vp with the program VPView - open the ships.tbl with a text editor - scroll to the Ferret entry - find the "flag" field in brackets, it looks like this: ( "in tech database" "fighter" ) - make it look like ( "in tech database" "fighter" "player ship"). You can copy the entry from the Arrow or Hellcat, it should be the same. - save the file - put the file in your Saga folder "/data/tables/" folder. If "data" and/or "tables" doesn't exist, create it. - now the Ferret should be available as a player ship in the mission editor and if you open ASSM in FRED and go into the "Team Loadout" editor you should be able to make it available in that mission by checking its box on the left side of the window where all the ships are listed.
The Ferret will have a generic HUD of course, since nobody created a custom HUD for it, but it will work.
btw: In my Kilrathi mod the Ferret, Rapier, Demon, Razor and will also be available as flyable ships, just because I can. I might even do HUDs for them if I'm in the mood. But they work already. 😊
When flying the Ferret you will feel... somewhat excited but very vulnerable. A bit like in the Darket, only your guns have less range and do more damage.
X3N0-Life-Form wrote:Put it in "my documents/volition/wing commander saga/data/missions".
Works like a charm (and for technical non adept like me that's saying something!); looking forward to your next offering.
enabled the ferret, rapier, razor, and demon and played around.
the demon has replaced the saber as my new non-Excalibur favorite 😁
The Demon is far too powerful I think, especially because of its huge missile load. If you load it completely with dumbfires the player can single handedly destroy a frigate in one pass. Just fire all you missles at it from one direction and it is gone.
So in my mod I might nerf it a bit. Not so much that it becomes bad but a bit less über-great. I already did that for the Gothri, which was just too good IMO.
Remember that those ships are mostly balanced for AI use in the two prologue missions they appear in, not for being player ships.
ASSM as installer variant. The installer only checks and unpacks the ASSM file into correct folder and creates this folder if needed. He don't write any modifications to the registry. Clean and simple. After "installation" the installer can also be used for "uninstalling".
📎 [Attachment: capture_20120629_111605.png]
📎 [Attachment: capture_20120629_111608.png]